Last year (heehee - okay like 6 days ago) Becks, author of the style blog oomph, nominated me for the Tell Me About Yourself Blogger Award! YAY ME! It was extremely sweet as I am an avid reader of her fabulous blog. (Her blog is very popular and she does such a good job! Go check it out, like NOW!)
So, being a newbie "fashion" blogger, I actually had no idea what this award meant. I didn't know what to do. So I started googling and I found that I am supposed to tell my readers 7 things about me they may not know! So without further ado - here we go!
1. I'm an ex-vegetarian. Back in 2005 I was at a huge turning point in my life. My life was changing rapidly as I had left my ex-husband, was becoming a single mom, and had to figure out how to raise my son all on my own. I also wanted to change my attitude about myself and change my body. I did a lot of research on ways to lead a healthy lifestyle and after reading many books and articles, I became a full-fledged vegetarian overnight. It was great. I felt better, I lost 45 pounds, and it gave me a sense of purpose. Examples - I was saving water a little bit (wasn't eating livestock) and I wasn't killing any animals either (note - I did not become a vegetarian to save animals - it was a nice perk and animals are nice and all - but that wasn't the reason for my decision). This past summer, after 5 + years of being a vegetarian I reverted back to eating flesh. My now current husband and I had booked our honeymoon at an all inclusive resort in Jamaica. I was freaking out about the food as I didn't want to spend my vacation eating the same vegetable blend or pasta dish everyday. So little by little I started to introduce meat back into my diet. Maybe one day I'll go back to being a full time vegetarian, I still cook a lot of veggie friendly dishes as that's an old habit now. The funniest thing about eating meat again, when my brother found out, he was really disappointed. He told me he always thought it was cool to tell friends that his sister was a vegetarian... LOL!
2. Speaking of which, I have a brother. He is my younger brother. We are two and a half years a part, so we are pretty close. I can't call him my little brother though, not any more anyway. He's 6'8"!!! I'm barely 5'8". It's kind of crazy to talk to him up close. You literally have to look up.
3. I was a HUGE BAND GEEK in high school. I was such a big music nerd not only was I in pit band for basketball games, concert band, jazz band, band for the musicals the drama club would put on, concert band, and marching band, I was also the drum major of our high school's marching band my senior year! Not only that, I marched drum corps for Cincinnati Glory Drum and Bugle Corps my freshman and sophomore year! I was pretty good too... I played the baritone, trombone, and my main instrument, the euphonium (kind of like a little tuba). I also took lesson's from the Cincinnati Pops Orchestra's bass trombonist. I was totally on track to major in music in college. But something happened the summer after my senior year of high school and I stopped playing. My only explanation is that I burned out.
4. My personal style has been on a wild ride. In high school I started going to local punk rock venues and started to rock the look as well. Dyed my hair all sorts of colors, ripped fishnet tights, studded collars, boyfriends with even crazier hair than mine... Then I went to Ohio University for my freshman year for college. There were basically two types of people at OU at the time, "preps" and "hippies". Because of my past I was definitely not a prep, so I embraced the hippie thing. Wore patchy pants, long flowy skirts, hemp jewelry, and patchouli. Even went to a Phish concert. I came back home for my sophomore year and transferred to UC. My urban roots came back easily and I started to meld the two looks together. Today, I try to keep to my punk rock/hippie look in a slight way, but since I'm (freaking) 30 now, I try to stay sophisticated about it too.
5. The only people that know about my blog that are not bloggers themselves are Matt, my husband, and my mother-in-law (and I didn't even tell her, Matt told her about it when she asked him about Christmas gift ideas). I don't know why I haven't told anybody. There really isn't a concrete reason. I just kind of like the idea of this being my little secret thing. I have had a blog before. A vegetarian recipe blog actually. And everyone I know knew about it. I might start to spill the beans to some family and friends. I guess time will tell.
6. It took me 11 years to get a college degree... Ugh. I partied waaaaaay too much in my early 20's and dropped out of school. Then I got pregnant and married... THEN I was divorced and a single parent. Going to school, working full time and somehow finding someone to watch a baby while I was in school just wasn't possible, until I met Matt. Matt and his family are the reason why I finally graduated. I try to remember to thank him everyday because if it wasn't for him, I don't think I would be starting my new job on Monday. He truly is an awesome man.
7. I start my new job on Monday. You might have known that. But did you know I am going to be working as an RN on the adult behavioral unit? Am I crazy? Maybe? Is it my dream job? YES! I am so excited. I have been wanting to work in the mental health field ever since I did my psych clinical rotation. I have become really passionate about mental health issues, and I feel that with my strengths as a person, I would be an awesome nurse there. I cannot wait to get going!
There you go! 7 things about me! Hope I didn't ramble on too badly.
A quick note. I left my camera in Columbus last weekend at the NYE party. I'm supposed to get it back on Saturday. I took some pics of my outfit today on my iPhone... but there not the best quality (obviously). We'll see if I get them up?